Rule #1: Never judge a book by its cover *insert admonishing finger here*
Rule #2: Always get excited about cover reveals!
To be honest, I never paid attention to the anticipation of a cover reveal until the Harry Potter books came out. Then it was all speculation and analysis and curiosity and excitement and... you get the idea. Even then, I really didn't notice until the rise of the "YA novel" as an entity all its own. Of course, any avid reader/book lover/author follower will always be ready for any news of the next book they are devoted to pick up. However, it seems to me that YA novel cover reveals have reached an entirely new status of acclaim. Do they have events for these things? Maybe they should.
It does problematize something I was diligently taught as a child (see Rule #1 above). Of course that phrase refers to more than just, well, books but I always took it seriously even when I was scouring bookstore fantasy sections for the coolest rendition of a dragon or the kids' sections for the most brilliant whimsical artwork. I still knew that what lay inside was more than its glossy interior.
However, now I get very perturbed by the abundance of glossy young females with piercing eyes and pouty lips. I'm judging, I admit to you now. I'm judging hard. I'll be less inclined to nab one of those versus an artful challenging cover. So perhaps these cover reveals are a double-edged sword--slice right through to the hearts of teens everywhere, but possibly severing my tie before I get a chance to research the book itself.
Check out this Pinterest Board of cover reveals (by Epic Reads) and see if you can guess which ones I love. Are there any that stand out to you?
Rule #2: Always get excited about cover reveals!
To be honest, I never paid attention to the anticipation of a cover reveal until the Harry Potter books came out. Then it was all speculation and analysis and curiosity and excitement and... you get the idea. Even then, I really didn't notice until the rise of the "YA novel" as an entity all its own. Of course, any avid reader/book lover/author follower will always be ready for any news of the next book they are devoted to pick up. However, it seems to me that YA novel cover reveals have reached an entirely new status of acclaim. Do they have events for these things? Maybe they should.
It does problematize something I was diligently taught as a child (see Rule #1 above). Of course that phrase refers to more than just, well, books but I always took it seriously even when I was scouring bookstore fantasy sections for the coolest rendition of a dragon or the kids' sections for the most brilliant whimsical artwork. I still knew that what lay inside was more than its glossy interior.
| Oh, those eyes... |
Check out this Pinterest Board of cover reveals (by Epic Reads) and see if you can guess which ones I love. Are there any that stand out to you?
0 comments
Post a Comment